Table of Contents
How is supplementary food manufacturing different from pharmaceutical manufacturing?
Supplementary food manufacturing and pharmaceutical manufacturing are two separate but related industries. Dietary supplements or nutritional products such as vitamins, minerals, herbal supplements, and protein powders are examples of supplementary food. These items are intended to supplement a person’s diet by providing additional nutrients or health benefits. They are, however, regulated in the same way as pharmaceutical products, albeit in a less stringent manner. In addition, their manufacturing process includes mixing, blending, and forming raw materials such as vitamins, minerals, herbal extracts, amino acids, and other nutrients into powders, capsules, tablets, liquids, or gels. Even though the pharmaceutical manufacturing line is not interchangeable with supplementary food manufacturing lines. However, supplementary food manufacturing facilities can be regulated using a tighter standard of pharmaceutical manufacturing, making them comply with more elevated standards than basic supplementary food-only facilities.
Why do you need to manufacture supplementary food in Thailand?
The Thai food supplement market is worth approximately 87 billion baht ($2.6 billion) this year and grows at a rate of 10% per year. According to TMB Analytics, the 2021 figure is significantly higher than the 60 billion baht figure in 2020. The major drivers of growth in Thailand’s domestic dietary supplements market are rising health awareness, rising disposable incomes, an aging population, and rising demand for natural and organic products. Furthermore, Thailand’s food supplement became a significant export to Australia, Japan, the United States, and neighboring ASEAN countries.
As a result, manufacturing supplementary foods in Thailand can provide you with a number of benefits including
- Market Demand: Thailand, like many other countries, is seeing an increase in the demand for dietary supplements and health-related products. Increased health and wellness awareness has resulted in increased demand for dietary supplements, herbal remedies, and other supplementary foods. Furthermore, Thailand’s strategic location in Southeast Asia allows it to gain access to regional and global markets.
- Natural Resources and Traditional Medicine Heritage: Thailand is well-known for its diverse biodiversity and abundance of medicinal plants and herbs. Thailand also has a long tradition of traditional medicine and herbal remedies. As a result, it is an appealing location for the production of herbal and natural dietary supplements, which are popular among consumers looking for alternative and traditional remedies.
- Cost-Effective Manufacturing: When compared to other countries, Thailand may offer cost advantages in terms of labor, production facilities, and raw material sourcing. This can reduce manufacturing costs while maintaining the critical quality and safety standards required for supplementary food products.
- Regulatory Environment: Thailand has established regulations governing the production and sale of dietary supplements and health products, and it adheres to international quality and safety standards to ensure high-quality dietary supplements are produced. Manufacturers may choose to operate in Thailand because the regulatory environment is favorable and conducive to their business, allowing them to sell their products both domestically and internationally.
- Investment Incentives: The Thai government offers various incentives to attract foreign investment, including tax benefits and streamlined regulatory processes. Also, local research institutions and universities offer opportunities for research and development collaboration, potentially leading to innovative products.
What to concern when choosing supplementary food manufacturers in Thailand?
Thailand currently has 6,300 companies registered with the Ministry of Commerce as producers of food supplements. Approximately 90% are small and medium-sized businesses, with the majority already relying on Supplementary Food OEM available domestically. As a result, you have two options for gaining a foothold in Thailand’s supplementary food market: establish your own large-scale mega-factories or select one of the Supplementary Food OEMs from among the many available currently.
If you are considering manufacturing your products locally in Thailand, these are factors to help you designate a “trustworthy” OEM supplementary food manufacturer available :
- Regulatory Compliance: Understand the regulations, compliance requirements, and guidelines for manufacturing, quality control, and product registration in Thailand, which is currently under the control of the Food Act of 1979, regulated by the Thai Food and Drug Administration (Thai FDA).
Currently, the Thai FDA has classified supplement foods as “standardized food” which is required to follow quality and labeling standards. Meanwhile, supplementary food for infants and young children, and weight-control food are classified as “specially-controlled food” that needs stricter quality and labeling standards. Also, the Tha FDA requires every manufacturer of supplementary food products to comply with the Good Manufacturing Practice or GMP.
- Quality Control and Assurance: Make sure that the manufacturer has provided robust quality control and assurance processes to ensure the safety, efficacy, and quality of your supplementary food products.
- Supply Chain Management: Make sure that the manufacturer has built a reliable supply chain for sourcing raw materials, active ingredients, additives, packaging and labeling materials, and other necessary components for manufacturing your supplementary food products without supply disruption.
- Skilled Workforce: Make sure that the manufacturer has employed a skilled workforce with expertise in manufacturing, quality control, research and development, regulatory affairs, and other relevant areas needed for supplementary food products.
- Intellectual Property Protection: Make sure that the manufacturer has a measure to safeguard your intellectual property by understanding local patent, trademark, and copyright laws. We recommend working with legal experts to take care of your legal issues in Thailand.
- Environmental Considerations: Make sure that the manufacturer has implemented environmentally friendly practices and waste management systems to minimize the environmental impact of the manufacturing operations.
- Technology and Innovation: It is beneficial if the manufacturer embraces technological advancements in the manufacturing of supplementary foods, such as automation, data analytics, and digitalization, to enhance efficiency, productivity, and product quality.
- Distribution and Logistics: It is beneficial if the manufacturer also develops a solid distribution and logistics network to efficiently deliver your supplementary food products to local and international markets.
Seven Stars Pharmaceutical, your trustworthy supplementary food manufacturer in Thailand
If your options are choosing to manufacture your supplementary food products through OEM manufacturers, Seven Stars Pharmaceuticals is considered your best choice available. Not only we are one of the leading pharmaceutical OEM manufacturers in Thailand that are currently certified under GMP PIC/S, SGS International, and ILAC-MRA. Our specialist subsidiaries in the manufacturing of supplementary food products, SSP Biotech, also maintain high standards of control and safety at the same level as our main pharmaceutical production facilities. With the support of advanced technologies and the know-how of Seven Stars Pharmaceutical, SSP Biotech is ready to provide you with a highly cost-effective manufacturing capacity for supplementary food products with pharmaceutical-grade quality.
SSP Biotech currently offers a manufacturing solution for supplementary food products as both contract manufacturing using your own formulas of your original supplementary food products or as Original Design Manufacturing (ODM) with one-stop services from concept consultants, product development, product registration for approval and certification from local regulators, manufacturing, and distribution of final products in various of forms including conventional and sugar-coated tablets, effervescent tablets, soft and hard gelatin capsules, solutions and suspension liquid drugs, jelly strips, and powder sachets.
Rather than supplementary food products, Seven Stars Pharmaceutical is ready to provide you a manufacturing power for various types of human drugs, veterinary drugs, cosmetics and cosmeceutical products, and consumer products that include active pharmaceutical ingredients such as soap, toothpaste, and mouthwash. We are also ready to provide you with distribution and logistics solutions to make your products available to local Thai consumers.
If you are currently searching for manufacturers of supplementary food or other kinds of health products in Thailand, we recommend you contact our sales at SSP Biotech, a subsidiary of Seven Stars Pharmaceutical, through firstname.lastname@example.org or phone number +662 420 3887 and 88.
What are full-range pharmaceutical products, and how do full-range pharmaceutical product manufacturers benefit you?
Your guidelines when considering manufacturing supplementary food products in Thailand using OEM manufacturers.
What you need to know about contract manufacturing, outsourcing of manufacturing to specialised companies, in Thailand